Tuesday, October 9, 2012

“Why can't somebody give us a list of things that everybody thinks and nobody says, and another list of things that everybody says and nobody thinks.”

^Oliver Wendell Holmes

It's been a very long time since I've posted anything, generally because I haven't felt that I've done anything worth a blog post. And that's no fun. SO. I'm changing it up a little bit today!
I don't know if you know, but I love, love, love lists. Sometimes I make them compulsively. I have so many pointless lists of things that, for whatever reason, I decided that I desperately needed.
My current favorite list requires a little bit of explanation. You see, my brain gets bored sometimes when I'm doing everyday things like eating breakfast or brushing my teeth (or sitting in class.....), so I just start thinking about random, random things. Usually they're super mundane things that I suddenly realize are unbelievably strange. This has been happening quite a lot recently, so I've taken to keeping a list. So without further ado, here are some things that are totally normal and yet so, so weird.
  1. Jack-in-the-boxes  Really. Who decided that this was a fun idea? "I know, let's put a scary clown into a box, then put a fun crank on it and play a catchy song, and then SCARE THE CHILDREN WITH THE CLOWN." I just don't understand.
  2. Peanut butter and jelly  I love PB&J. Love it. But who thought it would be yummy to put those two things together?
  3. Crying  I know it's kind of unfair to call this weird, but think about it. It's almost like laughing, except that water comes out of your face and your nose gets all stuffy.
  4. Parades  These have existed for thousands of years. But I wonder who made it into this kind of institution. The basic idea makes sense, but regularly scheduled ones where people come out of their houses to watch other people who may or may not be famous walk/drive slowly down a street is a little bit weird. And then sometimes they throw things at you.
  5. Museums  Again, I really like museums. But kind of along the same vein as parades: who thought to get a bunch of other people's stuff and put it into a huge labyrinth of rooms for people to pay to come look at?
  6. Holiday meals  Who made it kind of a requirement that everyone eats turkey on Thanksgiving and ham on Easter, but Christmas is kind of a meat free-for-all?
  7. If English muffins are just called "muffins" in England, what do they call muffins?  This isn't really weird, I just wondered.
These are the kinds of things I use to fill in thoughtless spaces. So if you ever wonder what goes on in my head... This is it.
I would love to continue my tradition of posting about good movies I've seen recently, but I sadly have not watched any new movies in the last couple months. Sorry. :(
Have a lovely day!
~ Snootycrumb
P.S. On this day last year, I posted this on Facebook (from another list):  "'Sort of a guys' night out. A G-N-O, if you will. A gno. Actually, it's more of a guys' afternoon in: a G-A-I. A gai. No. No. It's, uh, not gay, it's uh, it's a... it's a bridal shower for guys! A guy shower. An hour-long shower with guys.' ~ Michael Scott"

No comments:

Post a Comment